Pages

About Me

My photo
Back of Beyond Farm is a small, family run operation in Rist Canyon, Colorado. We work closely with natural rhythms to create wellness teas from indigenous and naturalized plants. 2013 marks our 4th year of supporting our community through tasty teas. In the year ahead, we hope to continue our work of not only producing healthful teas, but also exploring the edges of what it means to farm and be a part of a place.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Tool - Saw

Chainsaws have been a part of my life for a long time. My Dad used his little McCulloch to whittle away our log house on the prairie, my brother-in-law and I went in on a Stihl O56 for $50 to start our forestry business while I was in college, and the VERY FIRST post-move-in purchase when we came to the Back of Beyond was a Stihl "Farm Boss".

There is a reason the chainsaw is the featured "tool" of the horror movie, but I've only had one, well two....so three close calls in hundreds of hours of use. Two were my fault, plain and simple, the other the saw turned on me in a Stephen King, "Christine" kinda way. But we talked it out and got past our mutual differences.

My chainsaw is by far the most technical, mechanical of my favored tools, but it's really quite simple - keep it clean, keep it sharp, keep the chain the right tight, clean the air filter, and it keeps on going. Some days I take a hand saw into the woods to get some exercise or revel in the quiet....I am always glad to go back to the chainsaw after the burn in my arms subsides.

Quite simply, I am glad to have the "Farm Boss" on this little farm.