Pages

About Me

My photo
Back of Beyond Farm provides private land wildlife and natural resource management guidance and on-the-ground project delivery to help you achieve the wildlife goals you have for you property.

Monday, October 28, 2013

First Season: Introduction

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's mind, few. Here is the secret to the arts: Always be a beginner." - Zen proverb

This Fall has been so much about First Seasons - new beginnings. Personally, as a family, as a larger community. Time, floods, fire, transitions allow us the experiences of beginning again.

My mind has drifted from the Farm - with barely enough time to get it all done - it took everything I had to just do what needed to be done. And some due to the First Seasons around here - Makabe's first hunting season, his first season of organized hockey, friend Mark's first elk hunt, first time Jen and I have both been teaching full-time, first season of ballet for Jo and Luci. First season for little Juniper to chase birds in Autumn fields. Forgive me the silence and forgive me the new direction, for now, that this blog will bend towards. But it is all one conversation - how to raise food, family, culture in a place. How to root and be rooted. I hope you enjoy sharing our "First Seasons" with us.